1. Our camper-to-counselor ratio (5:1) ensures that your child will receive personal attention in a family-style cabin environment. We focus on building confidence, independence and resilience.
2. Camp Chief Ouray conducts an intensive multi-part interview process. This includes multiple criminal, professional and personal background checks on each applicant to ensure that we have the best possible staff working with your child.
3. As Colorado’s longest running summer camp, we have 110+ years of tradition and experience that will ensure your child has a positive camp experience.
4. Our programming offers a wide variety of activities and our “Freedom of Choice” programming allows each camper to create their schedule. Our Leadership Training Programs for teens are among the best in the country.
5. With 5100 acres of mountains, streams, meadows and trails we really are nature’s playground and a great place for your child to learn all the great opportunities the outdoors have to offer.
What are families and campers saying about their experience at Camp Chief Ouray?
“The experiences and values you give to every kid at CCO are amazing. I know firsthand how much it means to campers. Thanks to CCO I developed confidence, independence and a set of values that have helped me immensely in many aspects of my life and will continue to do so for years to come.” – 19 yr old Alumni Camper
” I like camp because it is fun. I like making bracelets in Arts & Crafts. I like making new friends.” – 10 yr old camper
“The girls have certainly become CCO addicts in the last two years. It really has changed them and made a huge difference in their lives; an impact that will carry on into their adulthood I have no doubt.” – Mother of 14 yr old twins
“CCO is a terrific resource in terms of kids building confidence, learning to think independently and learning to work as a team. Our boys would not be the same without the summers spent at CCO.” – Parent of 18 yr and 16 yr old boys
“Our daughter has experienced a high degree of personal growth as a result of her experience at CCO. This was always quickly evident on her return home after the various sessions. A prevailing theme over the years has been a deepining love for outdoors, and a comfort level with being in nature. She also changed as a result of being exposed to new children and young adults, which manifested itself in a broader more mature self-identity. – Parent of 17 yr old camper
” Last year when I sent my daughter to your camp, I had hoped it would build her confidence, and provide an environment that would help her grow. Throughout third and fourth grade she has had very low self esteem and felt that she was not smart. Last spring, before attending camp, she was a year and a half behind in math and about a year behind in reading. After she returned from CCO last summer, I could sense an immediate change in her confidence and her willingness to try new things. Her fifth grade year has been an amazing year for her at school. She has caught up to being only a half year behind in math and she is in the proficient range in reading! I know that her experience at CCO had a tremendous effect on her and I give CCO a great deal of credit for her improvements. – Parent of 12 yr old camper
Mission: YMCA of the Rockies puts Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds a healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
Our goal is to offer challenging experiences to build leaders through life-long skill development in a safe, imaginative, natural setting. We instill confidence through independence and interpersonal skills. We challenge our campers to discover their true selves.